BSL Used Here BSL Used Here

Appeal not to mix drinking and cooking over Christmas following Colwyn Bay kitchen fire


North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is emphasising the importance of not mixing cooking and drinking over the Christmas period and the importance of having working smoke alarms after a young man and his family had a lucky escape from a kitchen fire in their Colwyn Bay home.

Firefighters from  Colwyn Bay were called to a property on Grove Road, Colwyn Bay at 21.10 hrs last night,  December 21.The fire was extinguished by the occupier after his 18 year old son had become distracted after attempting to cook himself something to eat. The fire was started by a grillpan left unattended, and caused light damage to the cooker and light smoke damage to the kitchen, hallway and living room. The 18 year old was given a precautionary check up at the scene by paramedics.

There were no working smoke detectors fitted in the property.

The incident comes amidst appeals from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service for public across the region to 'take extra care' at home and on the roads following the Fire Brigades Union's announcement that firefighters in England and Wales will take further industrial action over the festive period on Christmas Eve, Tuesday 24th December between 7.00pm and midnight, New Year's Eve, Tuesday 31st December from 6.30pm until 12.30am and Friday 3rd January from 630am until 8.30am.

Gwyn Jones from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: "Drinking and cooking simply don't mix - alcohol can cause people to become oblivious to danger. This message is particularly important at this time of year as many may be drinking alcohol while celebrating the festive season.

"Never, ever leave cooking unattended - it only takes a few minutes for a small fire to develop into one that is serious and life threatening.

"Cooking after drinking is a recipe for disaster. Countless fires are caused each year by people returning home from the pub and deciding to cook a snack for themselves before going to bed. My advice is to play it safe. Prepare a snack before you go out or pick up a take away on the way home instead.

"Also, never try and tackle the fire yourself - our advice is to get out, stay out and call us out.

"These residents were extremely lucky to escape unharmed without the aid of a smoke alarm - a working smoke alarm is essential to safeguard the safety of you and your family. Please check yours by pressing the 'test' button to keep you and your family safe. For advice on fire safety risks, North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offers free home fire safety checks. A member of the Service will visit your home, undertake a fire safety assessment, and if necessary, fit a new smoke alarm free of charge.

"These checks are available free for all residents in North Wales. To request a check, phone our 24 hour hotline on 0800 169 1234, e-mail , log on to our website or text 88365, ensuring you prefix your message with the word HFSC. Please leave your contact details and a member of the Service will be in contact to arrange a convenient time to visit your home."

Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.


Thank you for your request