BSL Used Here BSL Used Here

Residents urged to take care after cause of tragic Bodelwyddan fire is revealed as electrical


Fire Officers are again urging residents to be aware of the potential dangers of electrical items following a fire in Bodelwyddan yesterday (Wednesday 21st November), where a woman sadly died.


North Wales Fire and Rescue Service were called to a report of the fire at a property on Coronation Close at 13.02hrs yesterday afternoon (Wednesday 21st November). A woman, believed to be in her late 60s, was found in the property by firefighters but sadly she was pronounced dead at the scene.


A joint investigation by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service and North Wales Police determined that the cause of the fire is thought to be an overheated coiled extension lead in the bedroom.


This follows on from another tragic incident in Acrefair, near Wrexham in the early hours of Sunday morning (November 18th) where a woman died following a fire in her home caused by an electrical issue in or close to the fridge.


The warnings issued following these fires coincide with Electrical Fire Safety Week (19-25th November), where the three fire and rescue services in Wales have joined together to promote a new campaign focussed on electrical household appliance safety.


Kevin Jones, Community Safety Manager for Conwy and Denbighshire, North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said:

“It was deeply saddening to hear the news of another death following a fire here in North Wales in such a short space of time - my condolences and deepest sympathies go to the family and friends of those involved.

“Both fires are thought to have been electrical – with the latest fire involving a coiled extension lead which had overheated. I’d urge residents to ensure that they always uncoil the extension lead fully, and to purchase extension leads which are the right length for the purpose intended.


“Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted on every floor of your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.


"Below is a checklist to help prevent an electrical fire in your home. Make sure that you:

- DON'T Overload plug sockets
- DO Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
- DO Unplug appliances when not in use
- DO Keep appliances clean and in good working order

- DO Fully unwind extension cables prior to their use.

- DO Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the use and maintenance of appliances. Register appliances at, which will enable manufacturers to contact you if any faults become apparent, or if any recall notices are issued.  Further information from manufacturers on defects, or appliances that have been recalled, can also be found on the Electrical Safety First website  


“Find out more about our new White Goods safety campaign launched on this week and try out our 'ampage' calculator on our website and facebook page – visit  for more information."

Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.


Thank you for your request