BSL Used Here BSL Used Here

Smoke alarms save Prestatyn couple


A couple in their 70s had a lucky escape from a fire in their Prestatyn home yesterday thanks to specialist hard of hearing smoke detectors fitted by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service.


Crews from Prestatyn and Rhyl were called to a kitchen fire in the property onSt George's Drive, Prestatyn at 16.47hrs after a hard of hearing smoke detector fitted during a free home fire safety check alerted the occupants to a fire in their home.


The fire was out on arrival as the male occupant tackled the fire himself.


Both occupants were given a precautionary check at the scene by paramedics.


Terry Williams, Head of Community Safety for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: "This incident clearly highlights the importance of smoke alarms and how they really can save lives.


"This couple had hard of hearing detectors fitted in their home as part of our free home fire safety check. This alarm features a vibrating pad and a flashing light to alert those with hearing issues of a fire in their property.  As well as regular smoke detectors, specialist detectors can be fitted totally free of charge for those who need them.


"You are twice as likely to die in a fire at home if you do not have a working smoke alarm. When a fire starts, you only have a few minutes to escape. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and dial 999.


"Having a practised escape plan in the event of fire will help improve your chances of survival should the worst happen. Also, try and get into a nightime routine  - switch off all electrical items and shut all doors to minimise the spread of smoke in your home and protect your route out of the building should a fire occur.


"Unfortunately this man tried to tackle the fire himself and was very lucky not to receive serious injuries. Never leave cooking unattended and never try and tackle a fire yourself - please leave it to us.


"For more advice on fire safety and for the opportunity to have free smoke alarms fitted in your home, please contact North Wales Fire and Rescue Service for a free home fire safety check. To register, please call our free 24 hour hotline on 0800 169 1234 or visit or text 88365, ensuring you prefix your message with the word HFSC."


Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.


Thank you for your request