BSL Used Here BSL Used Here

Empty House Destroyed Following Electrical Fire


An uninhabited house in Chwilog was destroyed following an electrical fire in the early hours of this morning (Wednesday February 22).

Two crews from Pwllheli along with off road vehicles from Porthmadog, Blaenau Ffestiniog and Dolgellau were called to the isolated detached property near the seafront at 01:28.

The fire caused 100% fire damage to the property.

The fire is thought to have been caused by an electrical short circuit within the electrical meter area.

Glyn Jones from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: "This fire highlights the danger of electrical fires- they can strike anytime, anywhere. It's important to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible. We would also appeal to residents to ensure that areas housing electrical items such as fuse boxes are kept clear of rubbish, papers or other combustible materials which could aid fire spread.

"In addition, there are some simple steps you can take to help prevent an electrical fire in your home. They include:
- DON'T overload plug sockets
- DO Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
- DO Unplug appliances when not in use
- DO Keep appliances clean and in good working order

"To help keep you and your family safe from fire, North Wales Fire and Rescue Services offer free home fire safety checks and, where necessary, free smoke alarms. By calling 0800 169 1234 or visiting you can arrange for a member of staff to visit your home and offer fire safety advice specific to you and your household."

Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.


Thank you for your request