BSL Used Here BSL Used Here

Links to Wales Government Guides

Risk Assessment process - HM Government guides

In order to assist businesses in understanding the legal requirements placed on them, how to carry out a fire safety risk assessment, and how to identify what fire precautions need to be in place at your premises, the Government has produces a series of guides aimed at specific business types.

The guides have been designed so that a responsible person, with limited formal training or experience, should be able to carry out a fire risk assessment and know what, if any, additional fire precaution or prevention arrangements need to be in place.

More complex premises will probably need to be assessed by a person who has comprehensive training or experience in fire risk assessment.

If, having read the guide, you decide that you are unable to apply the guidance then you should seek expert advice. North Wales Fire & Rescue Service may be able to help but will not be able to carry the risk assessment out for you.

In addition to the main series of guides, a supplementary guide on the Means of Escape for Disabled People has been produced. This guide is designed to read alongside the relevant premises guide.

A summary of the available guides and their application is shown below:-

Offices and shops
Offices and retail premises (including individual units within larger premises, e.g. shopping centres)

Factories and warehouses
Factories and warehouse storage premises.

Sleeping accommodation
All premises where the main use is to provide sleeping accommodation, e.g. hotels, guest houses, B&Bs, hostels, residential training centres, holiday accommodation and the common areas of flats, maisonettes, HMOs and sheltered housing (other than those providing care - see Residential care premises), but excluding hosptials, residential care premises, places of custody and single private dwellings.

Residential care premises
Residential care and nursing homes, common areas of sheltered housing (where care is provided) and similar premises, which are permanently staffed and where the primary use is the provision of care rather than healthcare (see Healthcare premises).

Educational premises
Teaching establishments ranging from pre-school through to universities, except the residential parts (see Sleeping accommodation).

Small and medium places of assembly
Smaller public houses, clubs, restaurants and cafés, village halls, community centres, libraries, marquees, churches and other places of worship or study accommodating up to 300 people of assembly

Large places of assembly
Larger premises where more than 300 people could gather, e.g. shopping centres (not the individual shops), large nightclubs and pubs, exhibition and conference centres, sports stadia, marquees, museums, libraries, churches, cathedrals and other places of worship or study.

Theatres, cinemas and similar premises
Concert halls and similar premises used primarily for this purpose.

Open air events and venues
Open air events, e.g. theme parks, zoos, music concerts, sporting events (not stadia - see Large places of assembly) fairgrounds and county fairs.

Healthcare premises
Premises where the primary use is the provision of healthcare (including private), e.g. hospitals, doctors' surgeries, dentists and other similar healthcare premises.

Transport premises and facilities
Transportation terminals and interchanges, e.g. airports, railway stations (including sub-surface), transport tunnels, ports, bus and coach stations and similar premises but excluding the means of transport (e.g. trains, buses, planes and ships).

The above guides are available for free download from the  Government   website which is accessible here.

Alternatively hard copies are available from Her Majesty's Stationery Office (HMSO)

Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.


Thank you for your request